Psychosocial Support Services in Timor-Leste
The Mandala Foundation operated a small field office in Dili, Timor-Leste from 2008 to mid-2016. Over this time, our Timor-based consultant, Iris Trapman, has provided context-specific, field-based psychosocial care and education to local and expatriate staff of national and international NGOs. These services continue to be offered remotely with the relocation of Iris to Melbourne in July 2016.
Programs offered in Dili and surrounding regions include:
- Half or full day workshops in staff and volunteer support
- Individual coaching and counselling for volunteers and aid agency staff
- Crisis and trauma management
- Appraisal and design of staff care systems
We can tailor workshops to the particular needs of your organisation upon request. Workshop topics that are regularly requested by organisations include:
- Workload and time management
- Constructive communication and conflict management
- Sexual assault management
- Managing critical incident stress and psychological first aid
- Systematising psychosocial support across the assignment cycle
- Psychosocial briefing and debriefing skills for aid managers
- Psychosocial risk assessment and management
- Peer support and coaching for managers
- Managing and working in cross cultural teams and environments
- Stress management
- Supporting staff to deal with grief and loss
- Recruiting and screening for assignment
- Supporting staff returning from assignment
Regional Psychosocial Support Hubs
The Mandala Foundation has also helped establish psychosocial support hubs in the Asia-Pacific region.
The psychosocial hubs aim to strengthen existing collegial and peer support networks and advocate for a stronger psychosocial focus when responding to crises at country, local or workplace levels. The hubs provide participants with ongoing access to psychosocial support resources from the Mandala Foundation through locally coordinated networks.
Hubs have been established in the Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and Sri Lanka, and we welcome enquiries about establishing a hub in Timor.
Read more about the psychosocial support hubs on our Pacific page.
For further information about any of our services in Timor-Leste, please contact:
Iris Trapman, Acting Executive Director
Phone: (+61 3) 9005 0808
Email: [email protected]