Psychosocial First Aid SkillsWorkshop for managers and individual aid workers
Aid workers and volunteers are often witness to distressing incidents and events in the course of their work, so knowing how to administer psychosocial first aid is a valuable skill.
This one-day workshop provides a brief, practical introduction to psychosocial first aid skills which can be applied to a wide range of situations and activities, from large scale disasters and critical incidents to every day collegial support situations.
Participants will be introduced to principles of psychosocial first aid that honour existing and natural pathways of recovery for individuals and communities.
Ethical considerations of applying a psychosocial first aid model to cross-cultural contexts will be explored and the core micro skills needed when relating to staff or community members of diverse backgrounds will be examined.
A case study and scenarios approach will be used to contextualize how psychosocial first aid can be implemented and how to identify when further intervention may be required. Participants will be given opportunities to practice the skills required to effectively apply psychosocial first aid.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is recommended for project/field managers, HR managers and individual aid workers or assignees.
Participants who complete this workshop will:
- Gain an understanding of the basic principles of psychosocial first aid and the range of contexts in which it may be usefully applied
- Develop practical psychosocial first aid skills that can be applied in a wide range of contexts
- Participate in exercises and role plays that require a psychosocial first aid approach
- Learn to identify when further intervention may be needed
- Practice the micro-skills required to sensitively adapt psychosocial first aid models to diverse cultural contexts
- Consider implications for policy, protocols and practice within community, aid or development organisations
Kate Minto, Senior Psychologist, Mandala Foundation
$330.00 Price includes GST
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (+61 3) 9005 0808
To register interest in this workshop or book a tailored training for a group of staff or volunteers, please complete the contact form below.