Ready & Willing: Psychological Preparation for International Aid WorkWorkshop for individual aid workers
International aid work can have a profound impact on a person’s life and on the lives of others, so being well-prepared for the psychological challenges of a deployment is an essential part of the preparation process.
Strong motivations to assist others and to work and live in a different culture can sometimes obscure one’s personal awareness and psychological preparation for the often challenging reality of undertaking an aid mission or volunteer assignment.
This one day workshop is designed to raise awareness and prepare less experienced aid workers and volunteers for the range of psychological adjustment and psychosocial issues involved in aid and development work.
The workshop will examine a range of common challenges often experienced across the assignment cycle and explore aspects of pre-departure preparation, strategies for remaining resilient in the field and tips for managing re-entry and reintegration issues upon returning home.
Note: This workshop has been delivered as a component of organisational preparation for departure courses and can be tailored to meet the needs of a particular organisation or delivered to a group of staff, volunteers or students. For more information about tailored training courses, please contact us.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is recommended for first-time or less-experienced aid workers and volunteers.
Participants who complete this workshop will:
- Gain an understanding of the range of psychological and psychosocial adjustment issues often encountered by aid workers across the assignment cycle
- Assess personal and contextual risk factors for their own anticipated assignments
- Learn the basics for remaining resilient under stress
- Explore the complexities of working in a different culture
- Create personal management plans for increasing personal resiliency and coping in the field
Psychological Preparation Program - Special Offer
We are pleased to announce that this workshop is now available as part of our Psychological Preparation Program, which offers fantastic value in enabling a comprehensive and tailored pre-deployment support process.
For only $275 ($85 off), program participants will receive:
- Ready & Willing: Psychological Preparation for Deployment (1 day workshop)
- Individual psychosocial briefing with a Mandala psychologist (1 hour)
- Managing Stress Fitness: A support booklet for international aid workers
The ‘Ready and Willing’ training was really useful and practical.
I enjoyed getting the opportunity to systematically work through some of the key psychosocial and mental health issues for humanitarian workers, as well as learning about effective strategies to implement.Josie Flint
Di Rachinger, Senior Psychologist, Mandala Foundation
Prices includes GST
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (+61 3) 9005 0808
To register interest in this workshop or book a tailored training for a group of staff or volunteers, please complete the contact form below.